Saturday, June 30, 2012

Master's Thesis



The minimum page requirement for my Master's thesis is 160 pages. Most of the other students in my class are writing short stories, so once they write enough stories to fill approximately 160 pages, they'll be finished.

I decided to try writing a novel. The problem with a novel is that it's possible for it to turn out much longer. If you write 160 pages and are just beginning, young Tolstoy, you still have to finish the story in order to turn in your thesis. Right now, I have 66 pages written, and I know I'm not halfway through. I'm not even one-third of the way through. It is maybe 1/5 or 1/6 finished.

If 66 pages is only 1/5 of the way through, the total number of pages would be 330. If it's 1/6 of the way finished, then the end count will be 396 pages. Just by choosing a novel (though my writing style is also to blame), I've created twice as much work for myself than if I had decided to write short stories.

The average of 330 and 396 is 363 pages. My goal this summer is to write the first 200 pages of this novel and see where that gets me. With 14 weeks left until school starts, that means that I need to turn out an average of about 14 new pages per week.

Hard enough, right? The complication is that I just arrived in Florence today, scrambled and jet-lagged and ready for a month of studying and sightseeing.

Wish me luck. Or dare me. Either one will help.

2 comments:

  1. I DARE YOU TO KICK THE SH*T OUT OF THIS GOAL!!!!

    ^
    Motivational.

    ;)

    ReplyDelete